How often do you think about your form when you’re running? How often do you do a running form check?
Well, I understand that. Running becomes so comfortable, that we just do it. It becomes as natural as walking, and how often to we think about our running form? Running form has major consequences, though; so, we should do our best to focus on it for at least a few moments every time we run and maybe even to devote a whole workout to it every week or so. It’s a particularly good focus for a recovery run.
Here is a handy checklist. It breaks down form into just five points, making it quick to do a self check.
5-Point Head to Toe Running Form Checklist:
- Hold your head high as if there was a string attached to the top, keep chin back, and look ahead.
- Relax your shoulders, keeping them low and back, opening up your chest, with arms swinging freely.
- Hold arms in a 90-degree angle, pulling back from the elbow, then allowing them to swing forward, making sure arms swing only backwards and forwards, not sideways, never letting them cross the midline of chest.
- Hands should be in loose, relaxed fits with thumb on top.
- Lean forward very slightly from the ankles but not bending at the waist.
That’s it! Simple and quick, but oh so important! Check out Mojo for Running Podcast Episode #26, Running Form.