I love fartleks, and I recommend them to everyone. A fartlek s a workout/run which is simply divided up by segments. You vary what you do during each different segment.
1. They break up a workout, making it interesting and fun
2. They are a great way to incorporate speed work
3. Fartlek segments can be done virtually anywhere with the segments determined by mail boxes, tenths of miles, property lines, minutes, light poles, etc.
4. The possible variations are infinite.
5. They can be appropriately and effectively utilized for runners of all levels from beginning runners to veteran runners.
So get out there and do them!
Oh, you want some ideas? Okay, you've got it. My next post will be a list of suggested fartlek workouts.